Wednesday, February 9, 2011

love letter [2]


my dearest friend,

should I draw you the picture of my heart,
it would be what I hope you still would love;
though it contained nothing new,
the early possession you obtained there,
and the absolute power you have ever maintained over it,
leaves not the smallest space unoccupied.

i look back to the early days of our acquaintance and Friendship,
as to the days of love and Innocence,
and with an indescribable pleasure
I have seen near a score of years roll over our heads,
with an affection heightened and improved by time --

nor have the dreary years of absence in the smallest degree
effaced from my mind the image of the dear untitled man
to whom I gave my heart.

[letter from Abigail Adams to her husband John Adams
while he was serving in the Revolutionary War]

No comments: